Upgrading Macbook (Late 2009) - Is it worth it?

Are computers, operating systems, mp3 players and hardware your thing? Talk about them here!

Moderator: Server Administrators

Forum rules
Click here to view the forum rules and formats.
Arion
Donator
Donator

Upgrading Macbook (Late 2009) - Is it worth it?

Post by Arion » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Hey everyone.

So, I've been thinking about upgrading my parents' Macbook (Late 2009) [click the link for the specs], so I can do some low-to-medium-intensity web browsing, and other stuffs (that doesn't really require much-intensive powerhouse, since I won't be doing heavy video rendering stuff)...and I'm curious if it's really a bargain at all.

This is what came on my mind...

So, worth it, or should I change to a new, latest Windows laptop? Or...a second-handed 2010s Macbook Pros/Airs? (That one, I have to drop...unless if I really need to buy it one, Apple products' prices in Malaysia (whether it's new or refurbished) is so suck-the-thumb-finger...)
Rio Noel [Rionoeru]
Ordinary guy, musician, producer, entertainer, photographer | Computer, video games (console/PC), technology, anime, cosplay, various music genres Otaku (geek) and enthusiast | Gamer | Japanese Culture Lover |
____
Long Time SA-MP In-game/Gaming AFK - Reason(s)
Main: Main computer broken (UPDATE: Under Construction - no coming back ETA yet)
Others: Doctor-planned heart surgery (date unannounced)
___

drownrabbit
Donator
Donator

Re: Upgrading Macbook (Late 2009) - Is it worth it?

Post by drownrabbit » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:26 pm

Throw the macbook as far as you can and buy an Acer 573G for the same amount of money what you would waste on this stupid macbook.

Pilot_7983
Donator
Donator

Post by Pilot_7983 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:35 am

drownrabbit wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:26 pm
Throw the macbook as far as you can and buy an Acer 573G for the same amount of money what you would waste on this stupid macbook.
Couldn't agree more. Anything but Mac. Sorry but honestly, you're far better off with a Windows PC. Far more universal. Best of luck.
Regards,

-----
Lucia: u faiul pillz
Lucia: pilot*
Lucia: wtf
[22:56] <~FunBot3> Marty_Kojima: hola buenas estoy buscando a mi mascota perdida se llama Sergio :v

Arion
Donator
Donator

Post by Arion » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:00 am

drownrabbit wrote:
I know someone would say I must put the Macbook from me as far as I can (not using it). I'd expect an answer with suggesting me to keep that Macbook on storage as well as buy another computer. Hahahaha xD
Pilot_7983 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:35 am
Couldn't agree more. Anything but Mac. Sorry but honestly, you're far better off with a Windows PC. Far more universal. Best of luck.
The only thing I love about Apple is their products and their own OS. But that love comes with limitations. With very limited upgradability (which only a certain hardware being compatible with a Mac), and their products being overpriced (In here, Malaysia, Apple products can reach for more than MYR 4K and much more higher price than that), I've always thought that "I'm definitely would not buy this."

I'll try to get a Windows PC for that kind of cash. TBH I missed using Windows
Rio Noel [Rionoeru]
Ordinary guy, musician, producer, entertainer, photographer | Computer, video games (console/PC), technology, anime, cosplay, various music genres Otaku (geek) and enthusiast | Gamer | Japanese Culture Lover |
____
Main: Main computer broken (UPDATE: Under Construction - no coming back ETA yet)
___

Anti-tankSpy
Donator
Donator

Post by Anti-tankSpy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:05 am

Arion wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:00 am
drownrabbit wrote:
I know someone would say I must put the Macbook from me as far as I can (not using it). I'd expect an answer with suggesting me to keep that Macbook on storage as well as buy another computer. Hahahaha xD
Pilot_7983 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:35 am
The only thing I love about Apple is their products and their own OS. But that love comes with limitations. With very limited upgradability (which only a certain hardware being compatible with a Mac), and their products being overpriced (In here, Malaysia, Apple products can reach for more than MYR 4K and much more higher price than that), I've always thought that "I'm definitely would not buy this."

I'll try to get a Windows PC for that kind of cash. TBH I missed using Windows
You were using Mac all this time...? Jeeesus. I don't blame you though.

Ricardo
Server Owner
Server Owner

Post by Ricardo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:23 am

Check if the rubber bottom plate is still intact and secure and whether the hinges are loose or not...

If it's alright then a normal SSD (doesn't have to be very expensive since it's SATA 2 anways) and max out the RAM at 8GB. It runs fine with 2x4GB DDR3 1066MHz even though that isn't supported. Install macOS Sierra when it comes out (not the BETA). That way you only spend money if it's stil in decent condition, and don't do ridiculous crap like replacing the mainboard for 10% more performance when the main bottleneck is the CPU archtexture and not the clock speed.

Tl:dr: SSD and RAM are the only things that matter and don't spend money on old equipment when it's not worth it.

Arion
Donator
Donator

Post by Arion » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:09 pm

Anti-tankSpy wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:05 am
You were using Mac all this time...? Jeeesus. I don't blame you though.
Yup...since mid-2015, while I was at the first semester of my college study. But, since I quit on the second semester (due to the college itself being insensitive on their students' needs), the Mac becomes (a bit) useless for me, until I used it for web browsing...
Ricardo wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:23 am
Check if the rubber bottom plate is still intact and secure and whether the hinges are loose or not...

If it's alright then a normal SSD (doesn't have to be very expensive since it's SATA 2 anways) and max out the RAM at 8GB. It runs fine with 2x4GB DDR3 1066MHz even though that isn't supported. Install macOS Sierra when it comes out (not the BETA). That way you only spend money if it's stil in decent condition, and don't do ridiculous crap like replacing the mainboard for 10% more performance when the main bottleneck is the CPU archtexture and not the clock speed.

Tl:dr: SSD and RAM are the only things that matter and don't spend money on old equipment when it's not worth it.
Actually, the SSD and RAM is the only crucial thing that I've been concerned with.

The rubber bottom plate is still fit intact (with the additional protection case all over the Macbook), and the hinges are still tight. It's still in good condition, since my father bought this first-handed (there's still the Macbook's box in his locked metal storage cupboard), on...I think it's around late 2010 or early 2011.

Looks like I have to cross-out the logic board upgrade.

TL:DR noted with thanks.
Rio Noel [Rionoeru]
____
___